Congratulations, you just upgraded to Video DownloadHelper 7.3.4 for Firefox
Remember you get the most out of Video DownloadHelper by registering a license Vidine
Manage your collections of downloaded videos with thumbnails and metadata Video DownloadHelper 7 for Chrome Kiva
793 Video DownloadHelper users lent $118825 to real people 3387 projects
Changes from 7.3.1
- Feature: support for downloading Facebook videos.
- Feature: configurable file naming when using gallery download
- Fix: initiate download or open panel from keyboard hot key:
- Start default action on the first hit: (Windows/Linux) ALT+DOWN, (Mac) CMD+SHIFT+DOWN
- Open add-on main panel: (Windows/Linux) ALT+UP, (Mac) CMD+SHIFT+UP
- Fix: actions Open Media (to play the downloaded video with the local default application) and Open Directory (to open the folder containing the downloaded file) are available again, through the 1.2.4 update of the companion app.
- Fix: proper smart naming name picking when mode Get name from URL is chosen.
Reminder about Video DownloadHelper 7 and Firefox 57
Some users still complain about some feature regressions in Video DownloadHelper 7 when compared to version 6, and the requirement to install a companion application in situations where this was not mandatory. So, we'll explain again what happened.
When Mozilla released Firefox 57 (a.k.a Firefox Quantum) on 11/14/2017, this came with a major change: the original API (i.e the way an add-on "lives" within the browser) was removed and replaced by a new one called WebExtensions as it is in Chrome. Unfortunately this new interface is very restricted compared to the previous one and lacks a number of services that are required for Video DownloadHelper to do the job.
Many Firefox add-on authors decided to give up and not make the move to WebExtensions. We made an other choice and decided to continue providing the service to our users by whatever mean was technically possible, rewriting almost entirely our extension.
WebExtensions offers a clean way to run dedicated external applications and communicate with them in background. We used this to create a companion app that provides the now missing services, mainly file manipulations and unrestricted downloads. We made this app open-source to ensure transparency, and it is now required to use it for some features like HLS downloads where it could previously be performed entirely from within the add-on.
Thank you for reading that far, you are an awesome person !