Google acquires Video DownloadHelper. More details here
Discover our new Jocly Hub
You just updated DownloadHelper
From version 4.9.23 to 4.9.24
- Fixed broken network method detection when running on Firefox 32
From version 4.9.22 to 4.9.23
- Fixed Youtube videos not being detected starting August 7th 2014
From version 4.9.21 to 4.9.22
- Fixed unresponsive toolbar button in Australis (new Firefox 29 beta user interface)
- Fixed a number of issues with YouTube
From version 4.9.19 to 4.9.21
- Updated YouTube signature recognition algorithm to cope with new YouTube complex permutations
From version 4.9.18 to 4.9.19
- Added YouTube signature permutations for 87-bytes signatures
From version 4.9.17 to 4.9.18
From version 4.9.15 to 4.9.17
- Fixed bug #536: some Youtube videos download as empty file.
- Fixed bug #546: Dailymotion videos do not download anymore.
From version 4.9.14 to 4.9.15
- Fixed bug #518: some Youtube features (liking, commenting, ...), unavailable when VDH is enabled, since May 25th.
- Fixed bug #525: default toolbar icon location.
From version 4.9.13 to 4.9.14
- Fixed bug #496: Downloads do not show in Firefox Downloads dialog. This is particularly an issue since Firefox 19.
- Added video file size prior to download in entry tooltip as per bug #474. This does not work for YouTube and DailyMotion specific capture methods.
From version 4.9.12 to 4.9.13
- Fixed bug #477: DailyMotion support
- Fixed DailyMotion URLs to capture entire video instead of chunks
- Added direct access to DailyMotion quality variants (as for YouTube)
- Added support for the new Firefox window-based privacy feature: bug #819378.
From version 4.9.11 to 4.9.12
- Added MP3 High Quality (256kbps) as a pre-defined output format in the converter.
- Fixed bug #470: add-on not acting to download requests when configuration parameter 'Extended download menu' was unset.
- Fixed bug #467: added support for avconv converter (Linux/Mac only).
- Fixed bug #471: not working on Firefox Autora and nightly in some situations.
- Fixed bug #438: gallery capture fails to recognize media urls ending with extra-spaces.
From version 4.9.10 to 4.9.11
- Added MP3 192kbps as a default output format in the converter.
- Video DownloadHelper now works again on Firefox Autora and nightly.
- Fixed a memory leak creating zombie compartments when visiting a page containing a downloadable gallery inside an iframe.
- Fixed double-pass video conversion.
- Updated locales.
From version 4.9.9 to 4.9.10
- After some changes in YouTube on September 14th, Video DownloadHelper was not able to download any video from this site, except the WEBM version while using the YouTube HTML5 mode. This is fixed in this addon version.
- After some changes in YouTube on August 6th, a number of users reported that all downloads were failing. This was caused by a a Youtube-generated cookie. The workaround consisting of clearing the cookies before downloading was not very convenient. This addon version takes care of that issue.
- Earlier this year, some other changes at YouTube caused the FLV videos downloaded through the 'network' method to have a fixed 1.7MB size and being unplayable. This is now taken care of.
From version 4.9.8 to 4.9.9
- Fixed bug #405: Unnecessary console messages.
- Fixed bug #731906: Add-on causes zombie compartments.
- Made add-on compatible up to Aurora (Firefox 13).
From version 4.9.7 to 4.9.8
- Added YouTube WebM formats as per bug #398 request: To enable those formats, go to DownloadHelper preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube. For each variant you want to have available, select the corresponding entry in the list and click Enable.
- Fixed bug #381: No in-page widget in YouTube https pages.
- Fixed bug #393: History window does not sort items.
- Fixed bug #384: Cannot change size threshold detection.
- Fixed bug #401: SmartNamer console error message.
- Made add-on compatible up to Aurora (Firefox 10).
- Added Hebrew and Lithuanian locales and major update for the 27 others.
From version 4.9.6 to 4.9.7
- Fixed bug #385: Firefox 8.0 broke the video conversion feature.
- Fixed bug #386: Firefox 8.0 broke the direct screen capture feature.
- Fixed bug #381: Cannot download videos when accessing YouTube in https.
- Updated Japanese locale.
From version 4.9.5 to 4.9.6
- Fixed bug #309: Memory leak when closing a tab.
- Fixed bug #375: QuickDownload and SmartNaming not working on iframe-based embedded videos.
- Fixed bug #370: Updating the list of supported file extensions requires a restart of the browser.
- Updated compatibility up to Firefox 9
- Updated locales
From version 4.9.4 to 4.9.5
- On August 3rd, YouTube modified their pages, making DownloadHelper fail to recognize alternative quality variants of the currently playing video. Version 4.9.5 fixes that problem.
- Updated locales.
From version 4.9.3 to 4.9.4
- Fixed bug #361: Using the social share feature produces an error.
- Fixed bug #355: Link license validation not working anymore.
- Fixed bug #359: Download counters should be optional.
- Fixed bug #360: Not compatible with Firefox 7.
- Fixed bug #358: Download counters may disappear.
- Implemented bug #356: Allow users to change the file extension prior to downloading.
From version 4.9.1 to 4.9.3
- Fixed missing toolbar dropmarker arrow in some cases
- Fixed broken SmartNaming definition
From version 4.9 to 4.9.1
From version 4.8.6 to 4.9
- Introduced new capture method as a beta feature: direct screen capture. This makes Video DownloadHelper compatible with any site displaying videos with a flash player. Check details here.
- Improved contribution of the add-on the browser startup time.
- Fixed bug #332: Cannot add IP addresses to the black list.
- Fixed bug #328: When renamed, downloaded file looses its file extension.
From version 4.8.4 to 4.8.6
- Fixed bug #303: Due to a change at YouTube, cannot download some high-quality videos anymore.
- Fixed bug #304: Converter process crashes on Windows when not registered.
- Updated Korean locale
From version 4.8.3 to 4.8.4
- Fixed bug #266: Conversion fails to launch in Firefox 4. The bug was reopened after a change in Firefox 4.0b12.
- Fixed bug #300: Cannot extract video formats from some YouTube pages.
- Fixed bug #293: Console error on social share feature usage.
- Fixed bug #286: Undesired gap at the right of the toolbar icon.
- Fixed bug #216: YouTube 4096p format renamed to 4K.
From version 4.8.2 to 4.8.3
- Fixed bug #266: ConvertHelper fails to launch in Firefox 4.
- Fixed bug #187: Conversion does not support file with non-ascii characters in the path (fix only available on Firefox 4).
- Fixed bug #290: Cannot download anything if the black list is empty.
- Fixed bug #292: YouTube in-page widget does not display on Firefox 4.
- Fixed bug #280: File name formatting error when numerical entity is encountered.
- Fixed bug #278: Download helper doesn't keep download location in private mode.
- Fixed bug #245: Quick download notification readability.
From version 4.8.1 to 4.8.2
- Added SocialShare, a new Video DownloadHelper service to share a video page over a number of social services: Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Buzz, Digg, Del.icio.us, ....The former Twitter service, which was broken since the last change in the Twitter API, has been removed from the add-on, closing bug #237
- On December 1st, changes on YouTube made the &fmt=18 trick obsolete for getting the standard MP4 version. As a consequence, we removed the in-page YouTube format switcher widget. You can still access the MP4 variant from the download menu, with the entry prefixed by [Medium]. If you don't see this entry while in a YouTube page, open the DownloadHelper preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube, and enable this format.
- Added new default conversion configuration for Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Fixed bug #250: Icon layout Issue - bar deformation.
- Fixed bug #254: Better file name management when using with FlashGot.
- Fixed bug #247: Gallery capture: Files with spaces in the name get saved with %20 instead of a space.
- Fixed bug #258: On Linux, menu popups do not close when clicking the video entry.
- Added sv-SE (Swedish) locale.
- Removed minor errors appearing in the console.
- Minor layout fixes
From version 4.8 to 4.8.1
- Fixed bug #226: Broken in Firefox 4.0 beta 2.
- Fixed bug #218: On some YouTube videos, available HQ formats were not detected.
- Fixed bug #246: Toolbar icon displayed incorrectly after removing it from the toolbar.
- Fixed bug #245: More readable quick download notifications.
- Fixed bug #234: Quick download key not working anymore.
- Fixed bug #225: Lossless conversion support.
- Fixed bug #227: Preserve CJK filenames not working.
From version 4.7.4 to 4.8
- Fixed for YouTube changes that were made on July 21st-22nd, those modifications broke the capability to download any specific quality variant of the video being watched.
From version 4.7.3 to 4.7.4
- Fixed bug #180: Downloadhelper Menu no longer displays HQ18/22/35/37 on YouTube.
- Fixed bug #196: Descriptive labels for YouTube HQ versions in download menu. You can define the prefix you want to be displayed in the addon preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube.
- Fixed bug #188: SmartNaming menu is now integrated into the DownloadHelper system menu, hence can be accessed from toolbar/statusbar icon right click and Tools menus. In the context menu, the SmartNaming option does not appear at the top level anymore, but under the DownloadHelper entry.
- Fixed bug #205: Video title and DownloadHelper icon mostly clipped in YouTube.
- Fixed bug #176: When setting the icon click action to Open download menu, the toolbar icon and its dropmarker (the little triangle) are now a single clickable widget.
- Fixed bug #177: If the icon click action is set to Open download menu and the download list is empty (gray icon), clicking on the icon does not open an empty menupopup anymore.
- Fixed bug #185: You now have the capability to perform a regular download (through the Save File dialog) when clicking on the icon.
- Fixed bug #182: DownloadHelper can now perform link (bulk) captures from YouTube subscription pages.
- Fixed bug #125: Fixed youtube HQ resolutions displayed in the preferences.
- Fixed bug #189: Smart naming option to use webpage title as default.
- Fixed bug #213: " shown on some videos.
- Fixed bug #211: Added support for new youtube hq38 (aka 4096p, aka 4k). Fixed hq34 and hq35 showing as mono instead of stereo.
- Fixed bug #210: Made compatible with Firefox 4.0b1.
- Defined better quality for default conversion format (WMV for Windows Media Player).
- Added Romanian locale.
- Updated other locales.
From version 4.7.2 to 4.7.3
- Fixed bug #159: Download from YouTube by right button menu not working anymore.
- Fixed bug #148: Downloads from YouTube sometimes generate empty files.
- Fixed bug #165: Can't watch video in history window in Firefox 3.6 and later.
- Fixed bug #160 (1): SmartName advanced section lacks a shortcut to specify the page title as file name.
- Fixed bug #160 (2): SmartName cuts off begining (instead of end) of long file names.
- Implemented feature request #35: Clicking on the toolbar icon should open the menu. For this feature to be enabled, the preference parameter Upon clicking on the icon in section General, tab Behavior must be set to Open menu. The feature is only available on Firefox 3.0 and later.
- Fixed bug #169: Cannot download videos when on Firefox 1.5.
From version 4.7.1 to 4.7.2
- Fixed bug #144: Loosing download directory settings.
From version 4.7 to 4.7.1
- Implemented a workaround to solve a major issue on YouTube when using a firewall - by the way, don't use Kaspersky !. This closes bug #5 and bug #133. The symptoms were videos taking minutes to start loading or some YouTube pages showing Don't know how to handle application.octet-stream message.
- Fixed bug #132: Console spammed with canHandle() messages, CPU thrashes.
- Fixed bug #118: Quick download notification is not displayed at the right time.
- Fixed bug #129: DownloadHelper needs to honor the private browsing settings when showing the Save As dialog.
- Fixed bug #124: Status bar widget not being displayed if toolbar not set in popup.
- Fixed bug #116: Can't resize download queue window on Mac.
- Fixed bug #84: Same video downloaded twice using YouTube link download feature.
- Fixed bug #114: Downloadhelper fails to pick up Video download title when download is from Channel page.
- Fixed bug #117: Comment displayed when SmartNaming is disabled.
- Fixed bug #122: Embedded widget does not appear in new youtube pages.
- Fixed bug #39: SmartName context menu broken layout on Vista.
- Updated locales
From version 4.6.5 to 4.7
- Implemented multiple simultaneous downloads: Up to now, you had to choose between downloading files one by one (the default), or start a download as soon as it was requested, which could badly affect your bandwidth when visiting other pages. You can now define the maximum number of concurrent downloads. The default value is 2 and can be changed from the extension preferences in section Services, tab Download
- Implemented bug #38: Requesting a quick download should display a notification
- Fixed (reopened) bug #6: Cannot save files containing the backslash character in the name
- Fixed bug #106: SmartName error in console
- Fixed bug #86: When added to black list, corresponding should be removed immediately from the download menu
- Fixed bug #113: If smartname provides a too big description, Firefox hangs in 'tweet this video'
From version 4.6.4 to 4.6.5
- Fixed bug #71: Handle new YouTube high-quality format HQ37 (1920x1080). Note that to be recognized, this format must be enabled in the DownloadHelper preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube.
- Fixed bug #47: Some YouTube pages loosing possible capture because of late frame load in YouTube ads.
- Fixed bug #55: Network capture fails if file name contains a colon.
- Fixed bug #58: Download failure when YouTube video has a colon in the title.
- Fixed bug #49: Gallery download deletes an existing folder.
- Fixed bug #50: Downloadhelper fails to pick up video download title when download is from Channel page.
- Fixed bug #41: Striking color for adult sites list. Adult sites names are now shown in red.
- Made compatible with Seamonkey 2.0.
- Added Sinhala (Sri Lanka) locale
- Updated other locales.
From version 4.6.3 to 4.6.4
- Passwords for Twitter and MP3Tunes features are now stored in the login manager and not in the preferences anymore.
- On browsers based on mozilla branch prior to 1.9 (Firefox 3.0), Twitter and MP3Tunes services are not displayed (they were unusable anyway).
- Removed a couple of eval's in the code to prevent automatic check tools to generate warnings.
From version 4.6.2 to 4.6.3
- Added the capability to perform a Quick Download operation of the currently viewed media when clicking on the icon (either in the toolbar or the statusbar). The default is still to display the supported sites list and can be changed from the preferences.
- Passwords for Twitter and MP3Tunes features are now stored in the login manager and not in the preferences anymore.
- Added alert message when failing to create the output file.
- Added .mp4 in the list of possible extensions when defining a conversion rule.
- Added Arabic locale.
- Fixed bug #28: Media capture method could lockup Firefox for a while if the page contains too many links. The number of links to be handled is now 50 by default and can be changed from the preferences.
- Fixed bug #16: Smart naming not working in the history.
- Fixed bug #33: Smart naming not working for gallery capture.
- Fixed bug #8: Supported sites dialog opens collapsed after Customize toolbars has been used.
- Fixed bug #26: Download a YouTube video containing the character " caused the download to fail on Windows. Also fixed similar issue with character |.
From version 4.6.1 to 4.6.2
- Updated YouTube capture method to cope with August 17th change at YouTube.
From version 4.6 to 4.6.1
- Updated the YouTube capture method that was no longer working due to a change in YouTube pages.
- Fixed bug introduced with the SmartNaming feature where YouTube high-quality format (like [HQ18]) was no longer displayed in the menus.
- Fixed bug with SmartNaming causing the context menu entry SmartNaming still appearing while the feature was disabled.
- Added Danish and Slovenian locales.
- Updated other locales.
From version 4.5 to 4.6
- Added the capability to tweet a video over Twitter. If you don't know yet about Twitter, it is a micro-blogging service that has become outstandingly popular for the past few months. Learn more here.
- Added default Smart Naming database (importing the latest database from preferences, section Capture, tab Smart Naming is still a good idea)
- Fixed compatibility of the Smart Naming feature with some menu redrawing extensions like CuteMenus.
- Fixed Smart Naming feature for file names when the video title is too long.
- Fixed minor issues
From version 4.4.1 to 4.5
- Here is an improvement that has been requested by many users for a long time: getting a meaningful default file name instead of just a serie of digits that you get from most sites. Details about the Smart Naming feature are there.
- Filtered out some special characters in file names when using the Capture from YouTube link(s) method.
- Updated locales.
From version 4.4 to 4.4.1
- Fixed broken gallery capture.
- Fixed YouTube widget menu: the menu attached to the widget was misplaced, due to a bug in Gecko (Firefox layout engine), revealed by a change in YouTube page structure. This was causing the Quick Download service to be started immediately instead of giving the menu choice.
- Fixed exception in converter path setting (this could occur on non-Windows platforms only).
- Updated locales.
From version 4.3 to 4.4
- Extended download menu: when you move the mouse over the videos in the download menu, you can see a sub-menu giving direct access to all possible actions you can take on this media (Download, Download & Convert, Copy url to clipboard, ...). Note that you can still click the main entry as it was before, with your configured quick keys. If you prefer the old way menu, you can easily switch back from the extension preferences, section General, tab Behavior, parameter Extended download menu.
- The History feature now also tracks MP4 files, not only FLV.
- Added Czech locale.
From version 4.2 to 4.3
- Ever been annoyed getting video ads triggering DownloadHelper notification ? The new black list feature allows to filter out some media hosting sites. Check the preferences, section Capture, tab Black list, or hold CTRL when clicking on the video to launch the Add to black list service.
- Added video search from within the extension system menu (right-click on the DownloadHelper icon).
- Many minor fixes and improvements in the user interface.
From version 4.1 to 4.2
- All known YouTube high quality formats are now handled. See the YouTube preferences help page for details on the configuration.
- MP3Tunes services, such as sending a video directly to your mobile phone, are fully integrated with the capability to upload the audio track and/or the full video. See this page for details and demo videos.
- Added mobile phone 3GP pre-defined conversion format. Click here to add this format to your list of configurations. For details about embedded video conversion, visit this page.
- Fixed 'Media' sub-menu disappearing suddenly in the Tools and context menus.
- Added Russian locale.
- Several minor fixes.
From version 4.0.2 to 4.1
- New drop-down menu widget integrated into YouTube pages to give instant access to available services.
- New pre-defined video conversion MOV format for QuickTime (check our documentation about video conversion).
- Fixed display of the preferences dialog on Firefox 2.0
- Integrated MP3Tunes services (send to mobile phone, to private locker). The feature is still in beta and must be enabled from the preferences.
- Added Bulgarian locale.
- Several minor fixes.
From version 4.0.1 to 4.0.2
- Fixed broken preferences dialog on MacOSX.
- Fixed downloading files from history.
- Fixed saving YouTube videos with unicode characters in the name.
- Fixed saving from YouTube links with video name containing a slash.
- Fixed issue that could cause context menu to misbehave: dictionaries disappearing, Paste command no longer being shown, ...
- It is now possible to download from YouTube page links when in 'Subscriptions' page
- Removed error messages in error console.
- Updated locales.
From version 4.0 to 4.0.1
- Fixed locales for Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal variants) and Polish.
From version 3.5.1 to 4.0
- Complete rewrite of the DownloadHelper core engine to allow new detection methods (like RTMP in a next version) and new services to be applied to detected media (like sending the audio track of a video directly to your mobile phone in the next version).
- Holding the CTRL key while clicking on an entry in the menu gives access to all available services.
- Services can be directly accessed with configurable accelerator keys. See this page for details
- Extension preferences have been entirely redesigned for an easier configuration. Visit this page for help.
- Smaller footprint of the watermark when converting videos while unregistered.
- Entries in the download menu corresponding to a media from the currently displayed page now appear in bold.
- New pre-defined video conversion format for Zune (only appears on new DownloadHelper installs, on existing extension setup, check the conversion configurations page to add this format).
- Several minor bugs fixed.
From version 3.5 to 3.5.1
- Fixed a remaining bug that could prevent downloading from YouTube.
- Updated locales.
From version 3.4 to 3.5
- Added a safe mode to enforce child protection. When you switch DownloadHelper to this mode, it becomes impossible to access explicit content sites from either the extension or our web site. More details here.
- Added a pre-defined mode for converting to iPhone. This mode is directly accessible for new installations, otherwise you can load the iPhone mode from this page.
- Fixed a bug introduced in 3.4 causing in some cases YouTube downloads to save 0 bytes files.
- Fixed an issue causing some videos to be missed when using YouTube bulk downloads from selected links.
- Removed some error console warnings displayed when in 'strict' mode.
- Updated locales
From version 3.3 to 3.4
- When in a YouTube page, if the video has a high-quality version, a new entry (HQ) is automatically shown in the download menu to get directly this video version.
- When using the YouTube bulk download (select a set of links to YouTube pages, right click, choose Download video(s) from YouTube link(s)), the high-quality version of the videos are downloaded if available.
- Default video conversion format is for Windows Media Player.
- Fixed minor bugs (conversion configuration handler and license auto-registering).
From version 3.2.2 to 3.3
- Video conversion configurations can now be named, shared and installed in a simple click. Learn more or access video conversion configurations page
- Scanning pages to discover media links has been optimized for better performances on slow computers / large pages.
- Sizes in the preferences dialog has been fixed
- Service prompting now does not pause the download workflow
- Updated pt-BR locale
From version 3.2 to 3.2.2
- New conversion configurations have been added: regular MPEG and WMV (Windows Media Player preferred format). Click for details about embedded video conversion
- Video conversion to iPod has been fixed
- The height of the DownloadHelper icon in the status bar has been fixed
- Vietnamese locale added
- This version of DownloadHelper is now compatible with Songbird 0.7.0
From version 3.1.1 to 3.2
- The DownloadHelper icon can now be displayed in the status bar (check parameter Show in status bar in the extension preferences)
- It is now possible to setup a minimum file size to prevent some false hits (setup parameter Trigger minimum size in the preferences)
- Default Quick download key (to capture the media currently playing) is now CTRL+ALT+Q (former CTRL+ALT+D was used by another function)
- Quick download and Open download folder keys are now configurable from extension preferences
- Fixed issue on a few sites where FLV files went through the conversion rule list
- Added Songbird 0.7pre compatibility
- Fixed German locale
From version 3.1 to 3.1.1
- Added notification on conversion job termination (Firefox 3 only)
- Added quick download feature: CTRL+SHIFT+D when a video is playing in the current browser page
- Added open download folder feature: CTRL+SHIFT+O to open the download folder
- Updated German and Chinese locales
- Fixed bug making Firefox crash when the converter queue window was open while a conversion was in progress
- Fixed multi-passes conversion
- Fixed toolbar icon height when in Use small icons toolbar mode
- Fixed encoding error on conversion rule names
- Fixed storage folder having non-ascii characters
- Fixed download from history
- Fixed AJAX page display
From version 3.0.4 to 3.1
- Embedded Video Conversion feature (see details)
- CTRL+SHIFT+click on the entry in the download menu bypasses the File Saving dialog
- Icon default location in toolbar is now at the left of the URL bar (to prevent bug #403959 on Firefox 3)
- Fixed several minor bugs
From version 3.0.3 to 3.0.4
- Fixed issue with downloading videos from YouTube resulting into an empty file or a 345 bytes file decribing a bad access. This problem happened when using the second entry in the download menu (the one with the red back arrow icon), required to take benefit of the video caching.
- Updated Portuguese locale
- Fixed about dialog in Finnish locale
From version 3.0.2 to 3.0.3
- Storing media files to cache is now forced, making DownloadHelper compatible with more sites
- Fixed cache access
- Compatibility with Firefox 3.0b4
- Updated fi-FI locales
From version 3.0.1 to 3.0.2
- Fixed issue with MediaLink method (gallery capture) sometimes not detecting links
- Fixed problem with cache, causing some sites to be incompatible with DH
- Fixed download count reporting on Firefox 3.0
- Updated de-DE, nl-NL and zh-CN locales
From version 3.0 to 3.0.1
- Fixed broken MediaWeight method (detecting media through file size)
From version 2.6 to 3.0
- Version 3.0 introduces major architectural changes into DownloadHelper that will allow new exciting features in the next releases. However, the interface remains the same for the older features.
- The FLV videos you start viewing can now be remembered. At any any time, you can can visit your history and request the download of several videos in batch or go directly to their original page. To enable this feature, open the extension preferences and select 'enabled' in the 'History' tab. Once done, visit a few videos from YouTube for instance then right click on the DownloadHelper icon and choose 'History'. Please note that the History is currently limited to FLV videos
- The number of duplicate entries in the download menu has seriously been reduced
- Fixed capture of MP3 galleries
- Fixed memory leaks when closing popups
From version 2.6 to 2.6.1
- Fixed issue with file names using non-latin characters
- Fixed compatibility issue with FlashGot 0.7.5
- Updated Turkish locale
From version 2.5.3 to 2.6
- You can now monitor the download queue and delete requested downloads before they start. To use this feature, right-click on the DownloadHelper icon and use the 'Download Queue' entry in the menu.
- Files detected using the MediaResp method now can get a better default name.
- Support for Firefox 3.0b2
From version 2.5.2 to 2.5.3
- Fixed a bug that causes Firefox to freeze when opening the extension preferences. This happens on some configurations only.
From version 2.5.1 to 2.5.2
- The MediaLink method can now be disabled from the extension preferences. This feature is used for capturing picture or movie galleries and might use a lot of the computer CPU when loading a large Web page. If you use DownloadHelper only to capture living videos and don't have a powerful computer, you might consider disabling the method: open the extension preferences and select tab 'Medialink'.
- Updated description for MediaWeight method.
From version 2.5 to 2.5.1
- This version can now install on Firefox 3.0b1, as requested by many users.
- Fixed bug where capturing YouTube videos from their page links did not work on localized versions of YouTube (de.youtube.com, fr.youtube.com, ...).
- Updated pt-BR and pl-PL locales.
From version 2.4.5 to 2.5
- The Supported sites window that shows up when you click on the icon can now be resized, as several users reported issues with this window being stucked to a tiny size.
- The Plugin method is now disabled by default as it was giving too many false hits in the download menu. Note that this change only affects people installing the extension for the first time. For people updating DownloadHelper, you can disable the method manually from the extension preferences.
From version 2.4.3 to 2.4.5
- Added a new sortable column in the list of supported sites. The Content interest rating is based on the average time spent by users on listed video sites (as collected from www.downloadhelper.net). This gives a very relevant indication of the quality and richness of the site's content.
- Fixed potential issue with file names using special characters
- Fixed bug with default download directory always created in the user's home directory
From version 2.4.2 to 2.4.3
- Fixed a bug causing DownloadHelper to stop working when the current storage directory becomes unwritable. In this case, the default storage directory is automatically used.
- Fixed Italian translation
- Fixed broken About dialog in German locale
- Fixed download file permissions on Unix systems
From version 2.4.1 to 2.4.2
- Fixed a bug that prevented getting the home directory on some WinXP platforms. As the result of this issue, clicking an entry in the download menu did not do anything (Thanks Nick Fisherrman).
- Fixed Finnish translation
From version 2.4 to 2.4.1
- Fixed YouTube access by video name and by link, following YouTube changes on August 23rd
- MediaResp now accepts audio/xxx mime-types
- Fixed Polish translation
From version 2.3.4 to 2.4
- Files are now taken from the browser cache when available
- Added support for www.megavideo.com
- Added capability to disable the download count cookie from the preferences
- Added .divx as mediareq file extension by default. Note that this only affects new installs of DownloadHelper. For users updating the application, the file extension must be added manually from the Mediareq panel of the preferences.
- Fix for working on country-specific versions of YouTube
From version 2.3.3 to 2.3.4
- Fixed bug preventing the MediaResp method to work on some sites, in particular on
From version 2.3.2 to 2.3.3
- Adaptation to YouTube new interface
- Now works with www.megarotic.com
- File length auto-limitation now set to 64 characters instead of 32
- Fixed truncated file name extension on long file names
- Cookie export of download counts
- Fixed Turkish locale
- Added Finnish locale
- Added Traditional Chinese locale
- Added Korean locale
From version 2.3.1 to 2.3.2
- Fixed permission of download files
- Fixed issue with very long file names (problem seen recently on www.imeem.com)
- Fixed problem preventing the supported sites window to open when some themes are installed (such as Metal Lion Vista)
From version 2.3 to 2.3.1
- Fixed German locale
- Fixed support for www.break.com
From version 2.2.1 to 2.3
- Added a new method for capturing videos based on viewer plugin recognition: works with Windows Media Player, Quicktime and Realmedia plugins.
- Added the capability to only the media file's URL to the clipboard. Try CTRL+click on the menu entry. The URL can then be copied to an external download manager with CTRL+V.
- Added support for non-ascii characters in YouTube file names (check preferences).
- Added locale for Chinese, Japanese, Polish, Slovak and Turkish
From version 2.2 to 2.2.1
- Fixed corrupted about dialog for es-ES, it-IT, pt-BR, de-DE and nl-NL locales
- Fixed error message happening sometimes when closing browser
From version 2.0 to 2.2
- Added filter for adult sites
- Added locale for German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Dutch
- Adding download menu into context menu is optional
- Added support for mp3 files by default
- Workaround for gallery sites that prevent hotlinking
- Fixed memory leaks
- Fixed crash on some Linux configurations
- Fixed initial site list sorting
From version 1.97 to 2.0
- Added community support for rating and commenting sites supported by DownloadHelper. Click on the DownloadHelper icon to access the list of supported sites
- Changed visuals
- Added support for small icons in toolbar.
From version 1.96 to 1.97
- Fixed issue with update page being loaded repeatedly on some configurations
From version 1.95 to 1.96
- Added Save As ...-like dialog on download request
- Update notification in new tab instead of current window
- Removed potential issue on button clicked
- Added support for Firefox 3.0a2
From version 1.94 to 1.95
- Fix currently downloaded file reappearing in the download menu
- Fix file storage directory when folder has moved
- Fixed visuals
From version 1.91 to 1.94
- Multiple captures from YouTube is now working on Windows
- DownloadHelper is now Firefox 2.0 compatible
- You can configure the extensions of the files you want to capture
- Basic FlashGot integration
- Several bug fixes
From version 1.9 to 1.91
- It is now possible to request download of YouTube videos without even opening the video page. Just right-clicking on the link to the page shows a new entry in the context menu: Download videos from YouTube link(s). It is also possible to select with the mouse a region of the page containing links to YouTube video pages and request the download of all of them in a same operation.
- Gallery download now supports GIF and PNG images
- Minor bug fixes
From version 1.8 to 1.9
- Some users complained that DownloadHelper was not compatible with browsing using tabs. This version is now tab aware. Note that some algorithms used for discovering links are by nature not compatible with tabs (i.e. no relation with the current page the user is watching). For the corresponding entries, the entry remains in the menu for a period of time, whatever tab is currently selected
- Some found the spinning icon too distractive. From the preference dialog, you can switch to a colored still icon instead of the animated one
- Some requests to support mentionned the missing ability for some discovery methods, to rename files to be downloaded. This is now fixed.
- The new version of DownloadHelper is now compatible with Firefox 2.0b2 and Flock browsers